Sunday, June 28, 2009

BWOF 06-2006-124 - Test Muslin #1

Among other things I've been wanting a tank pattern for jersey knits (with elastene) that is figure-fitting but appropriate for work. I have this RTW that I purchased at Ross. One of those cost-$8-and-it's-one-of-the-coolest-things-you've-ever-worn items. I pretty much only have BWOF patterns and few Vogue patterns I purchased on sale. Since I feel very much overspent in the sewing department, I wanted to find something from what my current inventory. The closest I could find to what I was looking for is from the June 2006 BWOF, #124. The front (featured to the right) is cute, huh? What you don't see is that it's been slashed into three pieces. That's the part I like best.
Here's the part I like least. I mean it is ok, don't get me wrong. It just is not something I could wear with a skirt and a jacket to work. So, I've been trying to modify it so that I have the three pieces but the back goes all the way across.
I've also been having issues with my BWOF blouses and tops. They just always seem to need a lot of extra taken in at the sides. On things with a lot of ease, I really feel shapeless unless I take in an inch or so!! So I thought with this one I would go down two sizes according to my bust (from a 38 to a 36). I think it was a crazy moment. Two sizes seems like a lot to me now but an inch is GInormous so I guess that was what I was thinking... I did a very non-precision test run where I traced out the pattern and then eyeballed the adjustments I thought were needed. Today I was able to quickly sew up a muslin out of some poly-lycra stuff that had big stains on it. I think I got 3 yards of it for $2 or something like and it's come in handy BIG time. Here is the first attempt.

As you can see, two sizes was a bit much. In retrospect, this pattern does not look to have a lot of ease so I really should have stuck with my bust measurement.

In sewing it up, I also noticed that I had cut the lower back piece too short (by about 1.75" overall). The back neck turned out well and I like where the sections all hit - just above the bust apex and just above the belly button. From the photo, I wonder about the shoulder length but I'll leave that and just cut the 38 and see what happens. The armscyes may be a little too small as well. (Or possibly my arms aren't as toned as they used to be!) I like where the hem currently hits (unsewn) so I'm going to extend that about another 1.25".

Currently, I have BWOF 11-2008-125 cut and ready to sew up in a wonderful bamboo interlock. Now I'm concerned because I cut it the same day as the muslin above and it's (of course) a 36. Pretty sure this isn't going to fit. I'm going to sew it with 1/4" seam allowances and try to keep in mind that it will likely get passed to a friend's sister if that isn't enough. I need to just keep patting myself on the back for playing with the knits at all right now. Here's a 3/4 mock-up I did earlier of a t-shirt. It really makes me want to try a few ones for Nealla now that I see it. So tiny and cute.

Ok, well I better go try to sew the raglan shirt up. Hope the weekend was great!
- Rachel S.

No comments: