Saturday, August 8, 2009

The Guts of the Matter

I'm skipping the ongoing wonky saga this time so I can bring you...the guts of my sewing machine. This morning I sat down to practice some buttonholes prior to sewing up a pillow for the couch. I haven't really done too many buttonholes on this machine in the year I've had it. Well, let me tell you how NOT to machine stitch a buttonhole.

It all comes down to this: play it safe. If, when practicing, you decide to use a different bobbin and thread be sure to set the bobbin with your "fashion" thread far, far away from your sewing machine. Ugh. I don't know quite how it happened but I began a second buttonhole and the wheel became very difficult to turn. Closer inspection showed that the thread from the bobbin I wasn't using (and had set behind the machine on the table) had somehow became entangled in the hand-wheel. Oh boy. The Offending Bobbin had been previously sitting on top of the machine. I guess the end stayed behind when I moved it. Gobs of thread were wound around the wheel. Everything had to come apart. The photo on the left is after most all but a few bits were removed. You can see thread wound around the inner part of the wheel in the one below.
The thread managed to burn into the belt where it got lodged between the belt and the cogs. There are some burned and shredded bits on the belt now. I cleaned them off as best I could and have decided to keep with this belt for now. Here's another shot topless.
It all turned out surprisingly well in the end but I was a little anxious there for a half-hour or so. All that was needed was a screwdriver and a cool head. An interesting afternoon but not something I'd like to repeat anytime soon. From now on, I'll be keeping any thread not in use far from my machine! : )

Now, back to buttonholes...

Rachel S.

No comments: