Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Petite All Over (not just in my lower legs, it turns out)

I wanted to post some learnings from that skirt fiasco...
Most important: Making petite adjustments to a skirt and cutting extra off the bottom of the hem are NOT the same thing, Rach! Ok so I knew this and had actually had a thought about it in the beginning. In fact, I did that (took up my fabric length above and below the knee) with my current pants muslin. Why, oh why I didn't think of it for this I don't know. This has definitely shown me (con-clusively) how important it is to shorten a pattern correctly. Lopping off the bottom doesn't really do it unless your short-legged.

Second most important: It goes a long way if I work to keep the momentum on my project going. I need to stab myself with a pin everytime I put down a project because I come to an intimidating part. Better for me to jump in and attempt it (if I'm not too tired) then to set it down and take a chance on leaving it for a length of time. If I'd got to the hem a couple of months ago I'd only have a two-month wadder instead of a 3 monther. I think I'd be less bothered somehow - and a little less bummed with myself.

Also learned to sew in a lining and not to underestimate how time consuming or tedious that can be - serenity now.

And I proved to myself that I can produce a decent invisible zip.

I'm trying to be positive about this - can you tell?

Tonight, I'm altering the pattern, retracing, and cutting into the brown. Have to wait for the lining I ordered to come in but I'm going to see if I can't have this puppy finished by next week!

Rachel S.

No comments: